Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Warming Up with Al

I saw Al Gore’s movie last night. I don’t really understand the concept of global warming so, for me, it was informative. The friend I saw it with is a Chemistry Ph.D. so she was rather ho-hum about it, but she is hardly the real target audience. I need science dumbed down for me as much as possible, so I can follow everything. It’s scary, this global warming.

My scepticism about global warming was always based on the idea that the planet has always had warming and cooling periods, so how do we know we aren’t just at the cusp of the next ice age, no fault of our own. Al answered my question with one of his little charts. OK, it’s not like other eras. Things are changing fast, super fast. OK, I’m scared now. OK, there’s little point is saving for retirement. I’m buying a rubber raft and loads of tinned food. And a good can opener.

There’s an animated sequence of a lonely polar bear swimming and swimming and unable to find any ice to land on. It reminded me of the bears in Coke commercials. They should’ve used a different style of animation ‘ cause my thought was, when he finds a Coke he will be happy at last.

Quite a bit of the movie seems like a campaign film for Gore, but overall the movie made me hope he does not go back into politics because I think he can do a lot more good for the world if he keeps doing this instead.

I had a bit of a problem with the solutions and action we are supposed to take to help stop global warming. After watching these terrifying images of rising seas, and flooding in Manhattan, and Europe in a new ice age, I really found it hard to believe that I can make things better by buying long-life light bulbs or driving a hybrid car. The problem seems way too big for this kind of solution. But I am a pessimist.

I didn’t feel better today when I saw that Stephen Hawking thinks we’ll have to go live on Mars. Wah! But I don’t wanna live on Mars. I gotta get me some long-life light bulbs.

8 comments:

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Thanks indeed. You are someone to turn to in a crisis, I see.

You know, I do have a can opener that looks a lot like the Swing Away #407.

(Why do I feel my Al Gore post is going to get hijacked into a discussion about can openers?)

cityofmushrooms said...

hate to jump on the can opener band wagon but what's the deal on this swing away thing? my can opener is getting old and is maybe on its last legs

cityofmushrooms said...

so this is hand-held or some big on the counter thing?

cityofmushrooms said...

oh and ps to nanuk
could you have dreamed that your blog on al could have morphed into swing away can opener talk?

alas...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Sigh.

Al Gore is a lot sexier than a can opener, but apparently this is lost on you people.

cityofmushrooms said...

gore DOES have sex appeal
on the other hand, when the world comes to an end, a gal could really use a reliable can opener, non?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

(shakes head)
I'm sighing myself to death here.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You'd have to ask Tipper.

(Thanks for setting that one up.)