Wednesday, June 28, 2006

On Lunch Buckets

I like the term “lunch bucket”. I like the sound of the words together and I like the working-class, rough image it conjures. If you didn’t understand any English and somebody just whispered the syllables lunch bucket to you, it might even sound romantic.

Came across it this week in the NYT World Cup blog. It was describing the play of a certain Frenchman who shall remain nameless but who has a big, big scar down the side of his face. (Yeah, I can't name people. I’ve turned superstitious all of a sudden. I don’t know why.) The young man in question was said to be “a player who is a cult favorite with French fans for his lunch-bucket style of play.”

Lunch bucket makes me think of Fred Flintstone wearing a hard hat and heading down to the gravel pit.

Lunch bucket is Ralph Kramden and Ed Norton.

Lunch bucket is the guys who work in our printing department down in the basement.

Lunch bucket is cutting your own bangs crooked.

Lunch bucket. That’s me. I’m a lunch bucket gal.

I wondered if this was an American expression or a universal one. Picked up the old Oxford. No entry for lunch bucket. But it does have an entry for lunch box. I quote:

Lunch box. n. 1. a container for a packed meal. 2. humorous a man’s genitals.

Wha? Where have I been? I’ve never heard the term lunch box for a man’s genitals. God know there are so many silly euphemisms out there I could be forgiven for missing this one. Or is this some kind of inside joke among the lexicographers at Oxford? Help me out here, people. Is this a common term? Is this one of those things, yet another in an apparently very long list of things, that the whole world knows about, but not me? How very odd.

I’ve tried it out. I’ve tried saying: “You know that Cannavaro, he’s got quite the lunch box.” Nope. No way. Wrong. Forget it. It just doesn’t work. I can't stop laughing when I say it.


8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

FIGHT CLUB ed norton?

cityofmushrooms said...

I'd have thought that lunch box would be female

cityofmushrooms said...

maybe that cannavaro carries a fred flinstone lunch-bucket

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

No, not that Ed Norton. Sorry. The other Ed Norton, from the show that (if I recall) you can't watch because it is too sad.
Am I recalling that right?

And I agree, it makes more sense as a term for female genitals. I tell you, the folks at Oxford are having me on.

cityofmushrooms said...

yes, I may be the only person around made depressed by the supposedly light-hearted and hilarious "honeymooners"

Anonymous said...

Where have you two been? Lunch box is a very common term for male genitalia (what do you call 'em in Canada then?). I may be wrong here, but possibly an expression mostly used by gay men? Oh, and while we're on the topic, there is a particular style of bathers here that are called 'budgie smugglers' - I hope I don't have to explain that one!

However, lunch bucket is not in common usage here and I agree with Ze Nanuk (?!) - I immediately thought of Fred, sitting up on his dinosaur, hard hat and lunch bucket.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Where have I been? Clearly not Australia, land of lunch boxes. I'm convinced we don't use that term around here. Neither do we use "budgie smugglers" (you Aussies have a way with words and images, I salute you). Speaking of the beach, I do find the rather appalling "banana hammock" is becoming too common, though, in these parts. I laughed the first time I heard it, but now I just kinda go "iiick".

Anonymous said...

ewwww! I don't like that one at all!!! Of course, there is 'wedding tackle' - have you heard that one?