Saturday, June 24, 2006

Saturday Soccer

So Long, Sweden.

Germany look good. Scary good. Master race good. If they play all their matches like they played the first half of today's game, they are unbeatable. Except for poor Ballack, who apparently can't buy a goal for love or money. How many tries did he get? That was crazy.

Adios, Mexico.

Too bad. I really liked them. But Rodriguez's winning goal was fantastic. I'll miss the Mexican coach and his strange ties. I'll miss the unique way the Mexicans salute at chest level during the national anthem.

Prediction: Germany will win the Cup.

In commentator news: I love John Helm. I would love to be sitting next to him at a dinner party. Maybe he would say things like "What a disappointing soup". In my dreams.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before it all started I think a Germany v Brazil final was the general prediction. Are we so sure now? Germany v who?

Oh, and can I take this opportunity to bid farewell to the US team and their awful coach, who made dispariging remarks about the Socceroos before the tournament - something along the lines of 'who are they? never heard of them'. Well, firstly, we qualified for the tournament, instead of getting a free ride in like SOME teams. And, even if we do get beaten next game, we made it through to the second round. Who went home early?

cityofmushrooms said...

also a major john helms fan over here
tho I bemoan the fact that equally dry martin tyler is absent

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie is very fiesty tonight (or I guess that is this morning, right?). Getting psyched up for that Italy match, eh?

If it makes you feel any better, the US coach is getting equally trashed back in the US. Most people want him gone, gone, gone.

It is amusing/infuriating to read certain American columnists (i.e John Tierney in the Times) who feel they need to admit, now that the US is out of it, that they never cared about the World Cup at all. Of course, if the US was still in the running, they would be shouting USA, USA. What a bunch of idiots.

Anonymous said...

Yes that was Sunday morning actually. Well, I just get sick of how everything, everything has to be channelled back through US eyes.

(and I've got a cold, and I missed out on that job). Feisty, sick and unhappy - what a combination!

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Oh no. I am sorry about the job. That's too bad. But you still have a job, though, don't you? In the same company?

Anonymous said...

Yes-it was a temporary promotion due to maternity leave - would have been good experience for 12 months and a lot more pay, but there you go. Have taken a 'sickie' today (Monday) and will spend all day trying to decide whether to watch the big game tonight - 1.00am! Painful.