Monday, June 26, 2006

Oh God!

Forget beautiful, this is the cruelest game. On earth. Ever.

Those poor Socceroos. They played so well. They dominated offensively, but wah! the soccer gods were aligned against them today. This is NOT how I wanted to see the Azzurri win. This being said, I thought Buffon was excellent today and I'm not a fan of his. The Italian defense was very good. They had to be. Luca Toni should get together with Ballack and Lampard to form the "we can't score to save our lives" club.

Totti didn't look that thrilled about scoring the winning goal, did he? At first I didn't think the penalty was fair, but then after watching it several times I had to agree that the ref made the correct call. (I'm ducking, as I expect a projectile to be flying in from Melbourne any minute now.)

The commentator (Mrs. Mushrooms, please advise who it was as I did not see his name and did not recognize his voice) was clearly a Cannavaro man, praising him throughout. I too become more and more of a Cannavaro man with each passing match.

Best silly comment: the one about whether del Piero had been butchered by a barber in Dusseldorf.

15 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

only the great john helms could so effortlessly slip in a delpiero haircut remark into the flow of the action

I am relieved the azzurri's pulled it off....just

cityofmushrooms said...

besides your cannavaro, I think gattuso was solid, as always
defend, defend, defend
it's what italy does best

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Cannavaro's two great skills:
a) defending
b) posing nude with a strategically placed soccer ball.

Life is good.

cityofmushrooms said...

those are excellent skills

the whole team should work on perfecting them

Anonymous said...

A projectile? Just one?? Try several, very heavy ones!!!!! Naturally, there are 20 million Aussies who think the penalty wasn't there. The main reason why I will never be a true soccer fan is because of all the ducking and diving that goes on - some of those players should be on the stage, not the sports field. The Italians defended very well, but we should have taken advantage of them being one down.

Of course, the pain is compounded by the lack of sleep and the total fright I got when the alarm went off at 12.55am, 5 minutes before kick off and then again at 6.30am. Guess who dozed off at their desk today at around lunchtime??? (oh, and very good coverage of the game in the online edition of the Globe and Mail)

Oh well, now my feeble support moves to England, but I'll be damned if I'm getting up in the middle of the night to watch them - there are limits! Besides, a fair dinkum sporting contest starts this weekend - Le Tour!

Anonymous said...

Oh, if that previous post seems slightly hysterical, it is - I just can't function on 3 hours sleep.....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I cannot argue against the notion that the Italians are a tad "theatrical".

I've fallen asleep at my desk numerous times, but I can't blame soccer. Usually I blame the job.

cityofmushrooms said...

theatrical?
try operatic!
which is why we love 'em

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Now I am forced to quote Barry Fitzgerald in The Quiet Man:

Impetuous, Homeric !

cityofmushrooms said...

love that movie

Anonymous said...

It is hard to explain the level of devastation here....I still can't bear to watch the replay of the 'incident' (I won't call it a penalty, it wasn't). We've had the usual conspiracy theories doing the rounds and even some English newspapers have supported us! (now thats saying something).
Trouble is, in our own game of football (called Australian Rules) diving etc is most definately frowned upon and we all can't help but compare, even though both games are totally different.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The "incident". I like that.

I still feel bad about it, too, even though my team benefited from it.

I think feeling cheated and screwed is part of being in the World Cup, isn't it? It bonds the citizens of wronged nations together. Boy, when they say this tournament is a metaphor for war, they aren't kidding.

cityofmushrooms said...

in the end, we'll all be licking our wounds over various "incidents" as we watch brazil (germany?) take it

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Don't say that!
Vive la France!

cityofmushrooms said...

I know, shut my mouth