Saturday, June 17, 2006

Saturday World Cup

Ghana 2 - Czech Republic 0

WOW. That may very well be the most exciting match I’ve ever seen. Why isn’t every game like this? Back and forth and back and forth. I was shrieking. What fun. And in a perfect ending, the underdogs win. That was great.

And this is the match I was least interested in today. Who knew it would turn out to be so fun?

Fan of the game has to be that guy in full Ghanian colours body paint with the urn on his head. Crazy.

Portugal 2 - Iran 0

Yippee. The Portuguese are into the next round. And Figo is playing so well. This is what I dreamed of in my weeks of World Cup anticipation. We will see his battle-scarred face in the next round. A boot in the face has really got to hurt.

I really like this "Art" Deco guy too. And Pauleta and even young punk Cristiano Ronaldo. Seems there will be reasons for me to keep supporting Portugal after Luis is retired.

After Ronaldo’s goal on the penalty kick, I was thinking of commenting that penalty kicks are dumb because nobody ever misses them. Then I saw the Ghana miss, so now I can’t say that, can I? I’m learning.

Must go prepare for the Azzurri. I won't have the time to comment until tomorrow, tho.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

it has been an exhausting world cup day, that's all I can say

Anonymous said...

And what about the Yanks drawing with Italy? That would have to be a surprise. (you can see I'm not really up on this stuff). However, the media here are going ape over our match against Brazil (2.00am Monday our time!!!!. They actually seem to think we have a chance.......

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm very much looking forward to the Brazil - Australia match, too.

And the French too.

It's too hot to do anything today so it's a good day for hiding in the house watching World Cup.

cityofmushrooms said...

I opened the new york times this morning and not a word about the yanks holding the azurri's to a draw (tragedy that it was)
hello?!

cityofmushrooms said...

great shot of luis, by the way