Thursday, August 31, 2006

Well THAT was embarrassing


At lunch time today I was in a sporting goods store buying my hiking shoes for Tuscany. I'm picking out a couple of pairs and when suddenly I feel this cold trickle down my neck. I reach up to my neck and wipe it, and my fingers are all wet. I've broken out in this incredibly cold sweat. Is this one of those dreaded perimenopausal moments I’ve heard so much about? I don’t think I would’ve been more alarmed if I’d looked at my fingers and they were covered in blood.

Is this what the future holds? Oh gawd.

At this stage, of course, I’m in a bit of a panic, but the nice young man shows up with two boxes and what choice do I have but to sit down and try on shoes. Fortunately he had two other customers to serve so he did not hover.

So I’m sitting on the bench, bent over, tying up laces and suddenly there’s cold sweat in my eye that has dribbled down from my temple. ACK! Then my sweater feels clammy.

On the bright side, the first pair of shoes I tried felt fantastic (and were on sale, a $30 discount) so it was a quick purchase, but I thought both clerks (suddenly there were two of them) were eyeing me rather strangely. I fled the place with my new shoes as quickly as I could, but I can’t help but feel that this afternoon those two youngsters are snickering about the sweaty old broad. Great.

7 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

be afraid, be very afraid
(I know I am)

cityofmushrooms said...

I just think of those sardines all squished together in a can like -- like -- like SARDINES!! and all thoughts of interesting recipes flee out of my head

we already had the vodka tomato sauce recipe
how about the vodka sardine recipe

what do you say nanuk?

and note: up north here in the city of mushrooms, we sometimes DO need our woolies in august, alas

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

God, you people are so nitpicky. It's not a cardigan! It's a short-sleeve knit top. It's not standard 100% cotton so I can't call it a T-shirt, and it's not a shirt. It's a short-sleeve, totally summer-appropriate sweater. Top. Whatever.

I like sardines, but I don't eat them often. Mainly because it requires locking myself in a cat-proof closet.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Plain sardines indeed. Though usually they come packed in a kind of lemony liquid for a bit of zing.

cityofmushrooms said...

cat-proof closet, eh?

Anonymous said...

Well speaking as person with THREE, yes I said three, sisters currently in menopause; symptoms may vary. One sister liked the hot flashes...she's always cold. The other two hated them. I work here with someone going through it too and she just announces it to all and sundry. The look on men's faces when she says it's a hot flash deal with it, is priceless.

cityofmushrooms said...

I have a co-worker who was always wanting to stick her head in the fridge