Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Brief Rant

A continuation of a rant I started over lunch and just had to get back to 'cause it wasn't quite all out of my system yet.

I like Bill Maher. I think he is funny and smart, and I agree with 90% of what he says. But I cannot for the life of me understand why he is a regular guest on Larry King Live. I mean, what the f***? Are there any two media people who are less alike, other than the obvious connection, i.e. one is a lecherous old man while the other is a middle-aged lecherous-old-man in training.

LKL is a show for celebrity has-beens, British royalty hanger-ons, and flag-waving country-and-western-singing bigots. And Tammy Faye Baker. LKL is the kind of media freak-show Bill Maher hates. So what is he doing there? And, clearly, he and Larry genuinely like each other. Why?

Last night I wanted to hear Bill slam the whole Ramsey/Karr media spectacle, of which Larry is one the ringleaders. And he did EXCEPT he said to Larry (and I still can’t believe he slithered in this distinction) that since LKL is an “interview” show and not a “news” show, therefore it was not a problem that Larry endlessly, obsessively covered this fiasco. Bullshit.

Bill, you sell your soul every time you go on that show.

The worst moments are when Larry doesn’t get one of Bill’s jokes, which leads to that painful pause. Then Bill looks at Larry in a way that acknowledges what a slow-witted pathetic old dullard he is.

P.S. I was worried that Larry wouldn’t have anything else to talk about now that the delusional nut has not been charged, but I see that the polygamist leader Warren Jeffs has been captured, thus providing Larry with a reason to keep living. Ick.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

the mere thought of larry and his suspenders creeps me out so much, I can never bear to watch