Sunday, August 06, 2006

August is....tomato time

10:30 a.m.
Just finished up Sunday breakfast: brown toast, white cheddar and cherry tomatoes that, a mere half hour ago, were still on the vine. Is this not one of the best times of the year, I ask you?

By Labour Day I will be so tomatoed-out I won't be able to look at another tomato, but now, in the first week of August, it's heavenly.

A perfect Sunday here, the sun is shining, humidity is low (well, low for here) and the freshly laundered sheets are on the line, floating in the breeze. Cats are lounging on window sills.

Surveying my vast "spread" I spotted a ripening beefsteak tomato and a mid-sized cucumber whose fates will intertwine sometime mid-week in a wonderful tomato and cuke salad. Note to self: Pick up an avocado.

Aislin says it all here:






6 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

that's it
I'm going to check if any of my patio cherry tomatoes are ready or, if like the raspberries, they get gobbled by a kid as soon as they appear even semi-ripe

Anonymous said...

I hate tomotoes.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

How is this possible? Please explain yourself!

Do you hate fresh tomatoes, or all things tomato-based? If the latter, what a terrible life. I weep for you.

Anonymous said...

I can tolerate a small squeeze of tomato sauce, but thats it - I just don't like tomatoes. Its a family thing - my brother and a couple of nephews are the same, while other members of the family have tomato with EVERYTHING!

Guess you better start weeping!

cityofmushrooms said...

so I guess BLT's are out?

Anonymous said...

Well, I have been known to order BLT's without tomato (what do you guys say? Hold the tomato) And I guess you know that tomato sauce is ketchup.....(just checking!!!!)