Sunday, August 13, 2006

Clothes make the man, Iranian edition

Anyone who knows me knows that one of my obsessions in the world of current geopolitical sartorial iconography is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's beige jacket.

I love that jacket. I love how it says he runs Iran like every day is casual Friday. It cannot, and will not, ever rival the sexiness of Fidel's fatigues, but that jacket makes a statement. If I knew the statement it is making, I'd be running the CIA, but for now all I can say with confidence is it makes a statement.

(An aside on Fidel. Today's outfit, the red-and-white-striped Adidas jacket. It left me speechless. It has to be a birthday gift from Hugo Chavez. There is no other explanation for it. That jacket had Hugo written all over it.)

So I was in equal parts shocked and delighted to watch the very surreal interview on 60 Minutes tonight. Mike Wallace and Ahmadinejad discussing his wardrobe. Wallace assuring Ahmadinejad that he looked nice, and Ahmadinejad admitting he is somewhat vain and likes to look good.

What on earth was I watching? It was like a wacky dream come true. I pinched myself. Did that really happen?

Luckily cbs.com provided a transcript. This is effing weird stuff:

"After Ahmadinejad answered the question, an assistant handed the president a note. Asked what he was telling him, Ahmadinejad said he had been told to rearrange his jacket.

"Why are they worried about your jacket? I think you look just fine," Wallace said, laughing.

"That is right. They have told me the same thing. They tell me that it's a very nice looking coat," Ahmadinejad replied.

Asked if he is a vain man, Ahmadinejad said, "Sometimes appearances — yes, you have to look your best… that is why I comb my hair."



No comments: