Friday, August 04, 2006

5 Weird Things about me

Hmm. Well this is almost impossible because I never do anything weird. Ever.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to ask people who know me to name 5 weird things about me? They’d have a better idea than I do. Here goes:

1) I occasionally mow my lawn diagonally. (OK, that’s weird.) This is my father’s fault. He instilled the idea that cutting grass in different directions is good for its overall “health”. But, in my defense, I have yet to try spirals.

2) I stood on the sidewalk for two hours one day just to get a glimpse of Fidel. He finally drove by in a limo. I saw him for about two seconds, and I actually considered that time well spent.

3) I can barely skate. I have an irrational fear of falling and breaking my leg. I keep telling myself I will take one of those “adult learn to skate” programs, but I’m too embarrassed. I’m sure I would be the only Canadian in a class full of Peruvians, Guatemalans and Vietnamese.

4) I came face to face with Wayne Gretzky in a hotel lobby once and didn’t recognize him. I knew I knew that face and thought he was someone I went to high school with. Took me all afternoon to figure out he was not in Mrs. Baker’s Grade 10 chemistry class.

5) I own a fake wooden log with a picture of John Wayne on it. I just can’t throw it out.

And a bonus one, just for Greg my tagger.

6) When I lived in DC., I used to walk down the street where Dischord Records was, hoping to catch a glimpse of Ian MacKaye. I never did. I am a failed stalker.

9 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

please post a photo of the john wayne log

read a nytimes bit about ford films a while back and it made me all nostalgic about death valley westerns

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

AH, the comments box is working again!

I guess I HAVE to get that digital camera, if only to post a picture of that John-Wayne-on-a-log souvenir. Such pressure you people put me under.

I was going to add the warlord thing to my list, but then I thought that was such old news...

As for Doritos, there's nothing weird about liking them. Me and Saddam agree.

Henri the snotty French waiter should have his own blog. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

I would definitely hang-out at Henri's blog. I miss Henri, you know, as much as someone can miss an invented cyber-waiter.

cityofmushrooms said...

dill pickle doritos
aaaahhhhhhhhh

gsdgsd13 said...

Excellent. The John Wayne log and Ian Mackay stalking are particularly good.

When I lived in a place with a lawn to mow, I rotated weeks: up and back, diagonal, and yes, spirals.

cityofmushrooms said...

wouldn't you miss spots w/the spirals method?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I dunno about missing spots, but I think I'd get dizzy and fall down. Or I'd run over one or both of my feet.

I'll pass on the spiral method.

I had no idea the John Wayne log was going to inspire such curiosity. Makes me wonder...about you people.

gsdgsd13 said...

It was spirals with right angles. Even at the top of my game, mowing-wise, I couldn't manage curved spirals.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Ah, I get it. I was thinking curved Hitchcockian spirals.