Wednesday, August 02, 2006

I [heart] Michael Ware. But Wolf Blitzer? Not so much

What a doofus Wolf is.

What makes me like Michael Ware?
Is it:
a) his "working class" accent?
b) his asymetric nose? (Only tonight was it confirmed for me that he actually has a left nostril. For a long time now, I'd suspected he had only one. But he showed his left profile tonight and I saw the elusive left nostril.)
c) his infinite patience vis-a-vis Wolf, the Drama King?

All three, but mostly c).

In Beirut tonight, a bomb went off near Ware during a segment on THE SITUATION ROOM and Wolf got so excited I was sure he'd pee in his pants. No damage was done (to either Ware or Wolf's pants), but I sensed this is just the kind of drama Wolf wants in THE SITUATON ROOM.

Wolf went on ad infinitum about the blast and even brought Ware back about 15 minutes later just to talk more about the blast. And yet Ware never once told Wolf to get over it. I, on the other hand, several times muttered to Wolf, "oh enough already". A couple of other bombs had dropped in the meantime, but much to Wolf's (unstated) disappointment they seemed to be landing farther away from Ware instead of endangering him a bit more and making for more dramatic footage HERE IN THE SITUATION ROOM.

I know Wolf doesn't want any reporter to die on his show, but I feel he'd be silly with excitement if one got injured LIVE IN THE SITUATION ROOM or at least if the camera went all zooomy and they lost the feed. That would be so exciting for Wolf. sigh.

Just thought of a reason d) why I like Michael Ware. He uses polysyllabic words. Often. That may not be appreciated by many people, but it is by me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know things are bad when Wolf Blitzer is sent there......I saw him a few days ago waving his arms around somewhere near a bomb site - scary.

Re Michael Ware - seeing as your're so keen on this bloke, do some research and find out where he's from - my bet (without knowing!) is Queensland - that is not so much a working class accent, but a Queensland one. We don't all sound like that.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hmm. You suspect that's a Queensland accent? I will see what I can find out. He certainly doesn't sound like any of the other Aussie reporters.

To my Canadian ear, he has a similarity to some East Ender London accents I've heard.

cityofmushrooms said...

check out the speech accent archive at classweb.gmu.edu/accent/
click on the world map and then listen to an english paragraph read in the accent of whatever country/region you choose

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susieq, you have an accurate ear. Ware is a Brisbane native, and has a law degree from the U of Qld.
Law degree, no wonder he knows them big words!

Now if he would stop talking with his hands and saying "I mean" so much, I'd be happy. Yes, I am picky about my foreign correspondents.

Mushrooms, how do you find these things?

cityofmushrooms said...

I forget how I found the accent archive but it's great, isn't it? I tried to share it w/my fellow esl teachers but none seemed as taken w/it as me.

Anonymous said...

East Ender???? Interesting.

So I was right! I used to think we all sounded the same, but I can now generally pick a banana-bender.

cityofmushrooms said...

a banana what?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Mushrooms, you took the words right out of my mouth.

We have so much to learn from these Australians.

Anonymous said...

Thats because we're such a knowledgable lot! lol

Its a nickname that non-Queenslanders have for anyone from there. They grow a lot of bananas in Queensland......in fact, almost the entire crop was wiped out by Cyclone Larry earlier this year, so the price of bananas is in the same stratosphere as our petrol prices. We can't afford to buy much of either at the moment.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

That's terrible. Expensive bananas? Who can live without bananas!

Now, about the name Cyclone Larry. Larry is not a good name for a cyclone. Larry is a cyclone that hangs around the water cooler, looking for a date. I'd avoid cyclone Larry at all costs.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Striped neckties? You are so ANTI-striped neckties.

Anonymous said...

So glad to know that I'n not the only one who likes Ware for more than his reportin. That crooked nose it hot!

Anonymous said...

Also, I wasn't trying to be cool by leaving the "g" out of reporting...