Tuesday, August 15, 2006

On Fear and Aging and SpongeBob

Learned a terrible thing about myself on the weekend. I’m no longer very “good” on roller coasters. I can’t keep my eyes open when the Big Drop is coming. Or even a little drop for that matter. My eyes are clenched shut. I didn’t used to be like this. But now I absolutely do not want to see “it” coming.

The Mighty Canadian Minebuster is a bitch. It’s a Level 4. How do they determine what “Level” a ride is? By how pale people are when they get off? By how vigorously their knees are shaking? By the number of people who, like my niece, say, “I went on that when I was 8, and I’m never going on it again!” This is the Minebuster: wheee



Also, I’m much wobblier when I get off than I used to be. My stomach really flip flops. That is not fun. When did this happen? I guess it has been several years since my last trip to Wonderland and maybe I was just out of practice, but still…ick…it makes me feel middle-aged (yeah, I know, don’t bother commenting).

Skyrider is a Level 3. But I still had to close my eyes and grimace. For the first time, I distinctly thought to myself, in a full sentence, “I’m not having fun right now.” This is Skyrider:



I wanted to get on “Top Gun” but by 2 in the afternoon, the wait for that ride was almost two hours. Another sure sign that I am getting old, I will not wait two hours for a 45-second ride. No way.

We also went to the 3D SpongeBob SquarePants experience. I liked it a lot. So I’m not that old. Well, I’m not that mature.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My former roommate has to take dramamine to ride roller coasters thse days. We love them but we're so old now that we rate them on comfort and smoothness of the ride. I expect to start shrinking any day now.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hmmm smoothness of ride. I wonder if there's a Volvo roller coaster out there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

OMG, its turning into hot flush city here!!!