Sunday, August 20, 2006

Drinks for all my friends

There's a new Bukowski movie out. This time it's Matt Dillon who's taken the part of Henry Chinaski, the drunken poet. I've liked Matt Dillon for 20 years, but I'm not sure about this. In my mind, there is only one Henry Chinaski, and it's the great Mickey Rourke in Barfly. Mickey Rourke knew how to combine the filth and the pleasure in perfect harmony.

I'll probably see the new movie 'cause I love the whole idea of the alcoholic poet, but I'm afraid I'll spend my time muttering "he ain't no Mickey Rourke". Jeez, Barfly even has Frank Stallone in it. How can you top that?

Is there going to be a line in this movie that can compete with this:

"Sometimes, I just get tired of thinking of all the things that I don't wanna do. All things that I don't wanna be. All places that I don't wanna go, like India."

If there are lines like this, I'll be delighted, but I'm not holding my breath. Will Dillon do Bukowski, or will he do Rourke doing Bukowski? How can he not do Rourke doing Bukowski? It's a trap.

7 comments:

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The great Mickey Rourke.
The great Mickey Rourke.
The great Mickey Rourke.

It's my blog and I'll say it as often as I want.

The great Mickey Rourke.

gsdgsd13 said...

I have to side with RF on this -- I love "Barfly," but I think this is the first time in the history of everything that the words "The great Mickey Rourke" have been put together in that order.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Sigh.
You Mickey Rourke unbelievers...infidels!
Sigh.

cityofmushrooms said...

ok, ok, ok weighing in on the great mickey rourke debate: OF COURSE he's the great mickey rourke.
no question
but of course his great role is not the overblown BAR FLY. bukowski is already overblown enough on the page (tho I am a fan, more or less)w/out all the over acting of the great MR.
no, the great mickey rourke's best role is YEAR OF THE DRAGON.
what else?
hey, mickey: go do another few rounds in the ring

cityofmushrooms said...

one last BAR FLY thing: bukowski would NEVER end up w/faye dunaway, mickey rourke or not

Evan Leeson said...

loved Rourke in Barfly. Liked him in Angel Heart...the rest is not worth remembering.

chefscott67 said...

Who are you people???? Diner. The Pope of Greenwich Village. Barfly. Angel Heart. Johnny Handsome. 9 1/2 Weeks. Year of the Dragon. A Prayer for the Dying. The man was a God in these flicks. Some poor choices after....but PLEASE do not take any umbrage with his portrayal of Bukowski. Why he did not win an Oscar.............Criminal. The man has issues.....but when he is on his game.....do not disparage him. peace