Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Kids Today

Monday night, I took a different bus home from work, for reasons of laziness. When I stepped off and walked towards my street , I saw a familiar-looking car at the corner. The door opened, and Kumar said “Hop in”. I was stunned. Not a word for 2 weeks and then magically he’s there. On a Monday?

Turns out he had a car accident on Saturday and only got the car back from the garage on Monday p.m. He said God wasn’t ready to take him yet. Crazy-ass Muslim. It was a one-person spin-out on black ice, and he wasn’t hurt. Except for the $800 repair bill. That made him moan.

He said: “I’ve been waiting in front of your house for 15 minutes, but I decided you weren’t coming home, so I left”. And that is how I ran into him on the corner of the street where I normally do not walk. I am still weirded out by the timing. It’s fate I tells ya.

He is learning that trying to work two full-time jobs is rapidly taking its toll. He says he’s given up eating and sleeping because he has no time. He looked very tired. And stressed. But he’s always stressed. I asked him about Toronto, and he said he would be driving back that evening and should be home by 3:00 a.m. and would go to work on Tuesday. What a life. No wonder he had an accident.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things pop into my mind...

Ah, how romantic!
and
Ah, what a fool!

No wonder you're still on the fence about this relationship.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

He's both: a romantic fool.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. A. thinks this is SO ROMANTIC!