Friday, January 09, 2009

Help, need zzzzz's

I am at my wits' (wit's?) end. I am desperately seeking a cure for insomnia.

I have been sleepless for months, and this week has been the worst yet. I can barely function, and I'm this close (thumb and index finger a milli-millimeter apart) to heading to the pharmacy for Sominex. Assuming Sominex still exists...

I don't want to be another one of a gazillion droning drones who has to rely on pills to sleep, but I'm pretty well ready to give up.

Don't bother suggesting any of those "darkened room", "don't watch the news", "don't drink caffeine after 6" suggestions because, believe me, I've tried everything short of hitting myself over the head with a hammer. Any novel ideas will be greatly appreciated.

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

sominex song in my head now...

Anonymous said...

"Take sominex tonight and sleeeeep"

The cure for insomnia? Walk home the first nice night. It should take you 90 minutes to 2 hours. If you're physically tired, your body will shut down for you and let you sleep.

cityofmushrooms said...

I'll bet betty draper takes sominex...lots and lots of sominex

Anonymous said...

the walking thing is a good idea (exercise in general) - although in winter? Have to say Nanuk, once I reached a certain age (40's) my sleep patterns went right out the window,so I sympathise. Apparently it can be a part of the whole pre-menopause thing. I'm sure you've heard the hot milk suggestion (I make mine a hot choccy actually).

Discuss with your doctor too?

Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to be glib, but textbooks work for me. If I have to read something to go over with one my many chidren I pass out, face down in the thing, exactly like I did when I was in school, back in the 30s. It's not just about being bored, it's also about being overwhelmed. The words swim, I read the same line four, five, six times without understanding it, and then I'm out. Do you have access to textbooks?

cityofmushrooms said...

it's not FALLING asleep--it's WAKING UP at 3AM and staying awake until well after 5 and then getting the best, most beautiful, restful sleep of your life from about 5:42 until 6AM when the alarm goes off

Anonymous said...

You know why textbooks do it? Because as parents you start to panic realizing you don't have a clue what your kids are learning and it's your mind shutting down to make you feel less stupid.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Your kids are smarter than you, accept it. Didn't you think you were smarter than your parents? Eh? Same goes here.

Maybe I should take out my old textbooks and give that a try. You never know. Last night I read Buddhist mantras and they did the trick. 6 hours sleep! whoo hoo.

I'm not as troubled as Betty Draper. I'm not breaking furniture...yet.

Walk home the first nice night? That would be, around, April?

thanks for all the comments!