Tuesday, January 13, 2009

In Gord We Trust

CBC is compiling "Obama's Playlist" which is (dumb) a list of 49 Canadian songs for Pres O's ipod so he knows us better. They were listing the current top 5 vote-getters and No. 1 is Canadian Railway Trilogy (Yes! my fave) and No. 5 is The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (always a reliable blog topic here).

We are a land of Gord lovers.

Lennie's Hallelujah was No. 2. I can't remember No. 3 but No. 4 was Northwest Passage by Stan Rogers. Now, maybe this makes me a bad Canadian but I had never heard Northwest Passage until last week, when CBC played it as part of the list. Holy mackerel, I said. What a great, great song. It made the hair of my arms stand up all a-quiver. I love that song.

According to this list, Canadians love maritime disasters. Maritime disasters R us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um isn't the northwest passage a VERY touchy cdn/us subject? I hope some stompin' tom was on there and pagliaro perhaps? mrs. a.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I heard a lot of Stompin' Tom last week, but I don't know what has made the list. My vote would be for Sudbury Saturday Night.

I heard no Pag. But how could a great Canadian list be Pag-less? That would not be right.

cityofmushrooms said...

like the prez will actually listen to or receive this list