Monday, January 26, 2009

In Movie News

Weather note: Still too cold for my taste. grrrr.

Saw Gran Torino this weekend. If you thought Clint was a miserable curmudgeon in Million Dollar Baby, wait til you see him now. He’s kicked it into high gear. What an old coot.

Clint’s performance is the whole movie. And he is a lot of fun to watch. If this is, as he says, his last movie as an actor, well, I’m satisfied. If you want to get all artsy-fartsy and look at the “arch” of his “oeuvre” it’s a nice, neat ending to his on-screen vigilante persona.

Now, the really memorable thing happened in the theatre, not on screen. About halfway through, I thought I smelled smoke, cigarette smoke. Then I was sure I was smelling cigarette smoke. Then I noticed other people turning their heads this way and that. It was at the Forum with the stadium type seating and I was the near the back, so it was easy for me to spot someone in the fourth row with a big puff of smoke over their head and the red dot of a lit cigarette.

When was the last time this happened to you? If ever.

It was an old person, I could see white hair. Someone walked down and asked the person to stop smoking and the cigarette went out. Truly bizarre. After the movie ended, an usher was brought in and was about to approach the person, but then he said “She’s asleep”. It was an old lady, and she had fallen asleep during the movie, after her smoke. I left before he woke her up, but I’m still wondering what was up with her.

Maybe watching Clint smoke his head off throughout the movie just made her have to have one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just count yourself lucky she didn't fall asleep while smoking her cigarette...or the whole lot of you might have died a firey death.

Imagine there you are watching Clint in his last role, while you are watching the last movie you would have ever seen...ironic?

Of course...ten years down the road, Clint will have decided to star in another film...and you,...well,...you would still be dead. So next time some old lady lights up in the theatre, move towards the fire exit or slip her an upper.

JAW fan (deligently and sadly ignoring the chip aisle for the time being.)

cityofmushrooms said...

I'm surprised people around her didn't light up just to keep her company and for the, you know, nostalgia of those carefree smoking days of yore