Thursday, August 16, 2007

Stocks down, Panic up

Why is the TSX so much more volatile than the Dow Jones? The DJ is down about 250 today, while the TSX is down around 500.

Besides, the whole friggin' mortgage mess is a US problem, not a Canadian problem. Why are investors panicking up here?

I thought we Canadians were cool, collected cucumbers.

Except when you mess with our money, I suppose.

Speaking on behalf of all Canadians cucumbers, I will say Stop messing with my money.

I haven't seen anybody jump off the roof of the Sun Life building yet, but I'm keeping an eye on that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

....knowing next to nothing about the stock market, I ask you, should I be panicking about this?...should I start stocking up on bottled water and potato chips now?...is my bank account still worth what I think it's worth or will I attempt to make a withdrawal and have the machine laugh at me in a sarcastic manner?

JAW Fan

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe it took 4 days for CNN's Ali Velchi (sp?) to mention that we shouldn't get too upset since the total market value was at an inflated all-time high to begin with. Can anyone say market corrections?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Isn't Ali Velchi Canadian? Shouldn't he be in a bigger tizzy then? Or maybe he's being cool.

JAW, There's never a bad time to stock up on bottle water and chips.

Anonymous said...

Its not only in Canada - our stockmarket has been in meltdown too and all because of a whole swag of mortage defaults in the US - which confirms that old saying - when the US markets sneeze, the rest of us get a cold.

Anonymous said...

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. We've been building communities and selling the houses to people who were unqualified and then foreclosing on them for years now. Oh wait, sources are telling me that that wasn't a good thing... To the rest of the world, we apologize. There was no way to forsee the fiasco that destroying the housing market would cause. Oh wait...