Monday, August 06, 2007

Holocaust and Hosiery

The Gazette had a book review on Saturday of a memoir called: After Auschwitz: One Man's Story by Hermann Gruenwald.

This brought back memories because, when I was 19 and working at my first full-time job (being a grown-up!), Mr. Gruenwald was one of our clients.

This first time he came into the office, he said hello and then asked what size panty-hose I wore. I can’t remember if I even answered him because I was so shocked. It turned out he owned a hosiery business and always brought in freebies for the secretaries and receptionists at the firm where I worked, so he needed to know all our sizes. I suppose I didn’t mind revealing that info when I was 19 but I don’t know how I’d feel about it today.

Mr. Gruenwald’s book is written very much from a businessman’s point of view. This line in particular is oddly hilarious: “Auschwitz was an example of how not to deal with people”. Who can argue with that? Auschwitz had many unsatisfied customers. Yikes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, they were unsatisfied customers.

But, if you gave them Auschwitzians free pantyhose on the way in, I bet their attitudes would have been completely different.

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

I know that quote is probably taken out of context, but really......somewhat of an understatement I would have thought.