Thursday, August 16, 2007

Belated post: 5 favourite songs

Several days ago, our friend in Atlanta, The Hot August Knight, (yeah, it’s your new nickname, embrace it) pinged me, or tagged me, or whatever they call it, about posting on my 5 fave songs. My first thought was, oh that’s easy, but then my next few thoughts were that this is virtually impossible to do, so I kinda forgot about it, but today it came back to me.

Without further ado, and on the understanding that such lists can literally change on a daily basis (daily? How about hourly?), here are my 5:

Safe European Home (The Clash). Why? because Give Em Enough Rope was the first Clash album I ever bought, and this was the first song on the first side, and the instant I heard it pop and then fly out of the speaker, the world was a different place. That kind of experience only happens at a certain age, with certain bands, when all the elements are aligning in a way they never will again. All that and the way Joe sings the word "loverly". (Runner up: Rudie Can’t Fail because it’s kind of a sequel to SEH, isn’t it?.)

White Man in Hammersmith Palais (The Clash). Why is this song not everyone’s anthem? How can you hear this song and not want it to be your anthem? It’s huge and flawless. The way Mick goes Ooooh Oooh Ahhh Oooh Oooh Ahhh in the back, as Joe spits and laughs and builds to his climax. It’s so, so great. (Runner up: Rock the Casbah. Yeah, I know it was a "hit" but it really holds up for me. The piano’s great.)

The Body of an American (The Pogues). Because it’s The Quiet Man in a song.

The Sick Bed of Cuchulainn (The Pogues). Because the first verse is the most beautiful gutter poetry Shane ever wrote. And it’s a tremendous catchy tune.

Gimme Shelter (The Rolling Stones). Blame Scorsese for this one. The first 45 seconds of this song, before the vocal comes in, are transcendent. I don’t think I’ll ever figure out what makes that bit so great, but I can listen to it over and over and over. And thanks to the Ipod, I do.)

I can’t believe this list doesn’t have Visions of Johanna on it. Suddenly 5 needs to be 6 or 7....

11 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

good songs

Anonymous said...

Where's Bob?

Ugh, this is difficult and I think we have vastly different tastes in music Nanuk. This is not in any particular order:

1 Layla - Derek and the Dominoes
2 A Change is Going to Come - Sam Cooke
3.Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson
4 What is Life - George Harrison
5 Tin Soldier - Small Faces

Anonymous said...

As you know, I own way too much music and am too diverse in my likes...so I don't even think I could attempt to do this. The list would change on a daily basis, depending on my mood and mindframe at the time. One day The Plasmatics or X-Ray Spex could be on my list, the next day The Andrea True Connection could be there (well, probably not in my top 5, but you know what I mean!)

JAW fan

NB: However, in terms of collective work, Nina Hagen (without a doubt) would be number 1 on my list.

Anonymous said...

YES! Nunsexmonkrock! I can't believe they don't have it on iTunes.

God, picking five songs is tough. How 'bout ones that come quickly to mind?

1. "Domino" by Van Morrison
2. "Learnin' the Blues" by Louis and Ella
3. "Ninety-Nine and a Half (Won't Do)" by Wilson Pickett
4. "Miss America" by David Byrne
5. "Sonho Meu" Maria Bethania and Gal Costa

Anonymous said...

Oh, god, I have to add 6. "Stir it Up" by Bob Marley.

Okay, I can live with that list for now.

L.P.

Anonymous said...

This is too hard - I have to add 2 more:

In Dreams - Roy Orbison
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen (played really loud....)
And the first 2 picked by Anon above.

gsdgsd13 said...

Great list. Give 'Em Enough Rope was also my first Clash album (about the time they broke up, unfortunately). And Body of an American is one of my top two sing-along-to-in-bars songs.

"Hot August Knight"??

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Susie, I know there's no Bob. It seems like a sin, doesn't it? And there's no Springsteen or Bob Marley on my list. Who decided 5 was the number?

I like Domino but if I have to name a Van Morrison fave, it's Wild Night.

And everybody's fave Neil Diamond song is Cracklin' Rosie.

Anonymous said...

It was hard to pick a favorite Van Morrison song. I wanted to pick something from Astral Weeks since it's my favorite cd, but I couldn't pick just one from it because, well, dammit, I just couldn't.

L.P.

Anonymous said...

I've decided it is easier to do collective works...and so my list reads as follows:

1- Nina Hagen
2- The Tiger Lilies
3- Siouxsie and the Banshees
4- BowWowWow
5- any of the following: Toyah, The Beautiful South, The Plasmatics, My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult, X-Ray Spex, Patti Smith, Blondie, Lene Lovich...hmm! this still ain't easy.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

JAW, Putting 8 bands in the No. 5 slot disqualifies you.