Wednesday, August 29, 2007

A Dark and Stormy Night

We had to cut our practice short tonight because after 40 minutes a few people yelled "Lightning!" and the coach said we had to head back to the dock. Being how things always are, we were at the farthest point from the dock when we had to paddle, paddle, paddle home. My arms felt like noodles.

The 7:00 o'clock crews were waiting to get in their boats, and I thought: are you people nuts?

I was home about 5 minutes before the rain started to pour. Good timing for me.

And at 8:05 I heard a very loud boom. The kind that makes you say Holy Shit and spill your beverage if you happen to be holding one (I wasn't) . And the house literally shook. I've still got power so it wasn't a transformer that affected me, but somewhere nearby a lot of people must be in the dark.

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

where I live, a lot of people are in the dark and it doesn't always have to do w/electricity

Anonymous said...

...storm didn't hit my area too hard, except for the first 15 seconds where the win was so strong that rain was falling horizontally, but it quickly subsided into nothing more than a lightning light show (kinda like being at a Pink Floyd concert)...hardly any thunder at my end, so needless to say no beverages were spilled..

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

oops!..."where the WIND was so strong..."

JAW fan

NB: for your sake, you'd think I could at least spell that word correctly

cityofmushrooms said...

I congratulate you all: living through a storm that was anything like a pink floyd concert must have been a truly terrifying experience! hide under the bed, I say! cover your ears!