Thursday, August 02, 2007

In the news

When I was a kid, I was afraid of crossing bridges. I thought if I held my breath all cross the bridge, the bridge wouldn't fall down. Now I feel I was right all along.

I had to get over that fear starting in Grade 7 when the school bus had to go over a bridge every single day, twice a day. One cannot hold one's breath forever.

If you only watch CNN, you'd think that the bridge falling down in Minnesota is absolutely the only thing that happened in the world yesterday.

Is it a small comfort to know that Montreal isn't the only place with crumbling infrastructure. Despite yesterday's incident, I don't think Minneapolis's bridges and roads are in the same league with our third-world conditions.

The building I work in is built over a tunnel. All of us expect the whole thing to collapse onto that tunnel at any time. Hopefully it will be on a weekend...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

...collapsing bridge this, collapsing bridge that. So, some cars fell into the water....in the meantime, the Doritos company is allowed to get away with the introduction of sub-standard flavours onto the market...Don't people see that it's Conrad Black all over again!!!!

As for this city's infrastructure (or any city's infrastructure), inspections will always pass and meet criteria (that is until said inspected item crumbles and kills.)

I personally wait (with dread and fear) for the day when the elevated Metropolitain (autoroute 40)will collapse. You know it's coming! And then what'll this city do? For one thing, it will keep the West-Islanders out of town. But is that really worth crippling the entire city?

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I never drive on the Metropolitain. I'm afraid of it. But I'm afraid of most roads when I'm driving.
West Islanders can always use the 20 to come into town. You won't get away from them that easily.

Anonymous said...

Drats!!!!...Damn that 20!

JAW fan