Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis

What were you doing when you heard Elvis had died?

I was home and was standing in the hallway. We had a mirror in the hallway and I was brushing my hair in front of the mirror. The radio was on, and my mother was in the kitchen. The news came on the radio and we both went "Wha??" and stared at each other. It is still so clear in my mind.

And we weren't even Elvis fans.

The other indelible memory I have is when the next People magazine came out, it had a photo of Elvis's last concert, and I couldn't believe how fat he was. I stared at the picture for ages.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know...so I guess it really wasn't that important to me.

Of course, if you ask me where I was when I heard he showed up at a Burger King seven years later, well that's different!

JAW fan

Anonymous said...

I don't know, but I do remember where I was when Reagan was shot: in the Westchester High School library immediately before being written-up by the librarian for pumping my fist in the air and shouting "YES!!" One of my proudest adolescent moments...

L.P.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Once a rebel, always a rebel.

Anonymous said...

I was in my first year at college, in the cafeteria, ironically, I was scoffing a doughnut, when one of the other students said 'Careful, you'll end up like Elvis" - I had no idea what she was talking about, but soon found out!

Anonymous said...

It's easy to be a rebel in a library.