Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Why I have no confidence in the US voting system

I picked this up from the TalkingPointsMemo site:

"My wife just came home from voting here in Webster Groves MO. She used the electronic touch-screen voting system. . . She touched Claire McCaskill's picture and the machine recorded a vote for Jim Talent. She then called one of the people running the polling center who helped her correct the problem. My wife then had to call the person over another time after it recorded her vote a Republican again. In her frustration she asked the person who was responsible for the design of this system. The polling person leaned in very close to my wife and whispered, "We're f----d."

Republican majority, anybody?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So that's how they're doing it! When I voted today, it was on a paper ballot, and I had to fill in the circles with a BIC pen. I'm in North Carolina. We don't have them fancy computer votin machines down in these here parts...

Anonymous said...

And you know what? You're probably better off! We're still on ballot paper and PENCIL here in Oz. I always worry someone will take to the ballot papers with a rubber (eraser!!!!) and change everything.

And I saw some Republican (who got beaten) on the news tonight crapping on about the greatest democracy ever in the whole world and how God made it all possible - presumably God designs the electronic voting machines too? Didn't work for this bloke though!

Anonymous said...

have you seen the ballot sheets? They're bigger than a full newspaper spread! How do they expect anyone to know all the names on there? And the x's were all scewed. No wonder people give up on voting. I got my absentee ballot by mail and couldn't make sense of it (shame, it was for Florida state!)

N.