Monday, November 06, 2006

Mid-term Midtacular

I’m stumped by the behaviour of Bush and Co. in the final days of this campaign. You’d almost think they want to lose. But why?

I couldn’t believe my ears last week when W. firmly endorsed Cheney and Rummy and said he wanted them there until the end of his term. Are there two more unpopular people in the whole world? I think not. And yet, there’s W, supporting them 110%. Is he oblivious, or is something more sinister at work? Or is it simply that they are incapable of acknowledging any errors in their policies? Simply cannot do it.

Then, here’s Dick on the weekend, saying we’re not running for anything so we are continuing with our Iraq strategy as is. 70% of the country thinks that strategy is wrong, but who cares, right? Can he treat the American people with greater disdain? What a loathsome individual.

I used to think that the results would be rigged by defective voting machines or strong-armed disenfranchisement of voters in Democrat districts. But now I’m not so sure. I’m leaning towards thinking Bush doesn’t care who controls Congress because he’s going to use those Executive Orders, Signing Statements or vetoes, whatever suits his purpose, to push through his own agenda, or block Congress’s agenda, no matter what. He loves signing off on those Executive Orders. It’s a nice, neat way of giving the finger to the whole populace. Sweet. Long live the Chimperor.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they are so confident because they have the capital ($$) to buy anything they want, elections included. The most important thing to remember about American politics is this- it's like poker, the one with the most chips wins. Politicians have been buying their way into office for decades. W and D and R know that the Rep party has plenty of cash to burn so they are sitting pretty. I hope to God that it blows up in their faces tomorrow. I know I'll be out doing my part to vote some of these bastards out of office! I hate to think what terrible things can happen to my country with 2 more years of W!

Anonymous said...

Much the same as whats happened the past 6 years, I imagine.

I can't vote, but I'm sending happy thoughts to all Democrat voters in the US!

Anyway, we've got a day off for a horse race today, so World War 3 could start and we wouldn't notice.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Ooh, you just love to rub that in our faces, don't you, susie. That's it then. I'm moving to Melbourne cause I want a day off for a horse race! That's so darn cool.

Anonymous said...

Just to rub it in a bit more, like a lot of people I took Monday off as well, so a 4 day weekend.

Anonymous said...

I burn vacation days for horse racing, at our house called high holy days. A day off for a race? My idea of a holiday!

Oh and I voted today too. The only hope I have is for Republicans to lose Congress. Then Congress can stop signing those spending bills.