Saturday, November 11, 2006

Remembrance Day


There are only three World War I veterans left in Canada. Average age is 106. I salute you, gentlemen. If I recall correctly there were six left at this time last year. This year could very well be the end of the line for living memory of the War. My grandfather was a WWI vet, but he has been gone for almost 30 years. I can't imagine still having him around. He was born in 1894. Boy, that feels likes a long time ago.

Today's the day when I think of my dad the most. Even more than at Christmas or on his birthday. Remembrance Day was a big event for him, and so it's become my day for him. He fought in France, but not for long as he was wounded after 3 weeks or so. He spent 4 years in England, preparing and training, and it was over for him in 3 weeks. A rather lopsided investment, I guess. He loved his time in England, though.

In The Gazette today, the front page is filled with the photos of the 42 Canadians who have been killed in Afghanistan. They have made Remembrance Day feel current again, and relevant in a new way for young people. Being a small country with a small army and a small number of Afghanistan deaths, we can still think of each of them individually. We look at their faces and remember their names. I feel sad for the American soldiers; their casualty numbers are so high, they seem more like statistics. That's a shame. It's just not right.

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

hope you raise a glass for your dad today

Anonymous said...

Lovely post Nanuk.

We have no WW1 vets left (I don't think) - I think the last one shuffled off last year. We've only lost one soldier each in Afghanistan and Iraq (very lucky).

Each year there is a minute's silence at 11.00 on 11/11 and in true Aussie style I was putting a bet on a horse race yesterday when it all came to a stop so we could observe the minute's silence.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

That's funny. You people and your horse racing!

Anonymous said...

We are a nation of punters - it has been said that we would bet on two flies crawling up a wall.