Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Iraq News of the Day

150 people were kidnapped this morning.

I just can't get my head around this plot. How do you kidnap 150 people at the same time? I think of kidnapping, in Iraq and anywhere else for that matter, as you grab a guy and throw him into the back of a car or van. How do you round up 150 people? Does nobody fight back? I don't get it.

And for the Ware-less of the world, I can report that I saw Ware* on Anderson's show last night. He was saying that PM Al-Maliki will never have any serious power because he's the only major player who doesn't have his own militia. How can you be a playa without your own militia. If you have your own militia, do you pay them out of your own pocket? I guess so. This is why I'll never have my own militia, I suppose. Why doesn't Al-Maliki have one? He can't afford it? Or would it be frowned upon by the Americans?

I'm trying to imagine this happening here. For the Liberal leadership, Bob Rae's private militia would be fighting Ignatieff's militia. Two nerd armies duking it out.

(*He looked good.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I think this whole thing of militias and all that is a whole other world outside our understanding really - even if Ware is there to explain it all for us. I mean, we have these nice safe lives (relatively speaking) where nobody needs a militia to do anything. Not sure if I've made myself clear, but I hope you get the idea.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and re Mr Ware, Nanuk, make sure you hop on over to the forum and see my latest post - I had you in mind.