Tuesday, November 28, 2006

No Visa Required...

to visit my new homeland.

In an effort to beat the Christmas rush, I have decided to jump the queue and declare myself a Nation. Yep. Welcome to Nanukistan. Population: one.

Originally I planned on calling me Soviet Nanukistan, but “Soviet” implied some kind of collectivity and since the goal of nationhood is to exclude as many non-Nanuks as possible, I’ve settled for simply Nanukistan.

I love my new sovereignty!

Taking a page from the Official Birthday Playbook of Queen Elizabeth I’ve decided to have two Official Nationhood Days, the real one on which I declared my sovereignty, i.e. today, 28 November and an Official Holiday. Since 28 November is a pretty lousy date for holding a parade, given the inclement weather of the surrounding territory, known as the “nation” of Quebec within the “country” of Canada, I’ve decided Official Nanukistan Independence Day will be celebrated on 1 July, when the weather is fine. I know it’s the same date as Canada Day but establishing a coinciding holiday guarantees me a day off work from my Canada-based employer.

I’m accepting proposals for a national anthem. I’m thinking something like “Hail to Me” or “Gimme an N”.

7 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

Have you got an army to defend your glorious homeland? How about some language police? Also: you will need an official food. May I suggest Dill pickle Doritos?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I may put a Dill Pickle Dorito on my flag! I'm looking to form a strategic alliance with The Frito Lay Co.

cityofmushrooms said...

then you won't need the army since nobody would dare invade frito lay country, you deft stateswoman, you

Anonymous said...

Sadly...in Quebec, your national holiday will still be known officially as "moving day"...might want to switch it to July 2nd or June 30th and go for the 4-day weekend.

JAW fan

gsdgsd13 said...

You can actually create your own nation in this game:

http://www.nationstates.net/

I had a lot of fun with it a few years back... haven't fired it up in a while.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Thanks for the suggestion, but really I need something a LOT peppier!

cityofmushrooms said...

except for the tories, the weather, and the scarcity of bagels, I have to agree w/jim: the west is best, baby