Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Let's party like it's 1970

MONTREAL - A letter claiming to be from a new cell of the Front de liberation du Quebec and threatening to take action for what it describes as ''Anglo-Saxon imperialism'' in the West Island and west-end Montreal is being investigated by police.

The letter, from a group or someone identifying themselves as the ''Camille Laurin Cell'' of the FLQ, was sent last week to media outlets and city halls in the western part of Montreal Island. (The Gazette)

The "Camille Laurin Cell". That is freakin' hilarious. Are they 80-year-old freedom fighters with dyed jet black hair? (For my American friends, try to imagine the Strom Thurmond Cell...)

When they launch a Black Jaques Parizeau Cell, they can give me a call. I'll join, by jove. In my 3-piece pinstripe suit.

I live in west-end Montreal and just the other day I was discussing the "Ango-Saxon imperialism" of the area. Now where was I again? At the Italian/Jewish IGA where I get groceries? hmm. No, maybe it was at that Russian pastry shop? No? Oh at Azar's, the Lebanese restaurant? Maybe it was at the Indian place I ate at last week? I just can't remember.

As a west-ender, I DO resent being lumped together with people from the West Island. Down with suburbanites!



3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I'm thinking scary 1973 guys on the aylmer bus: brown fitted leather jacket, dyed PERMED (tho balding) hair, lots of zodiac chains over the turquiose turtle-neck, a brown leather sachel (w/allo police or mao's little red book tucked inside)

by jove, indeed

cityofmushrooms said...

and hey, I thought all those anglo imperialist moved to alberta

cityofmushrooms said...

imperialists