Saturday, July 01, 2006

World Cup Round-Up


Oh my, where to begin? How about Italy shellacking Ukraine 3-0?

Okay, I now know exactly how to use that new expression I just learned. Like so: Did you see Cannavaro get whacked in the lunch box? Yowza. That had to hurt. When I saw him on the ground on his back with his legs in the air, doing the dead bug, I had to feel for the guy. But he survived, with a wee smile on his face. He will live forever in the highlight reels.

And Luca Toni finally found the net. Great stuff.

I never believed the Azzurris would make it this far. I’m astounded. Delighted, but amazed. Me of little faith. Can they beat Germany? What the heck? Why not?

Beautiful Portuguese over England in penalties. What can I say?

Rooney is young and stupid. He must be forgiven for this, for now anyway. He’ll learn.

If Frank Lampard goes back to England and is not shot/stabbed/strangled by a deranged distraught fan, he should consider himself lucky. I fear for his life.

In the pathos department, two things: 1) Rio Ferdinand’s heaving shoulders and sobbing made me feel terrible. I like it when men cry for joy at World Cup, not when they cry in disappointment. Leave that to the fans. 2) The resignation in Gary Bloom’s voice when he said: “England, as usual, lose on the penalty shootout”. As usual.

Cristiano Ronaldo is an arrogant little punk, isn’t he?

And then there’s Luis. A leader among his men. Whatta guy. Even though he shouldn’t even have been playing. I still lurve him.

Lastly: France 1 - Brasil 0

Start Ribery = Win Game. Ho hum. This is almost getting boring. Almost. Vas y le petit Franck!

John Helm has a massive man-crush on Zinedine Zidane. But is it the footwork or the baldness that so endears Zizou to him? Will we ever know? In Helm’s defense, Zidane was magical today. I loved every second he had the ball.

Ronaldinho continues to leave me unimpressed. Much ado about nuthin’.

Now about Thierry Henry. Are we sure he isn’t Italian? He’s got the theatrics downpat. I don’t know if I can stand to watch another game with a dozen or so incidents of his throwing-his-hands-to-his-face routine like Scarlett O’Hara. Is he planning an acting career post-football? He doesn’t have to rehearse now. Nice goal, though, finally. Finally. This sounds like I don’t like him, but in fact he is the winner of my Best Legs contest. Great gams. Very impressive indeed.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched the first 30 mins of the Eng v Port game - your Luis certainly has the ability to fall down as soon as an opposition player gets within spitting distance.

I don't really care who wins, as long as its not Italy.

And a belated Happy Canada day.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I hope you won't hate all things Italian because of the World Cup!

Italy has so many good things. I'm thinking food and wine in particular. And art.

cityofmushrooms said...

and men

cityofmushrooms said...

seems the owen wilsons didn't have a chance against luca toni (who is certainly NOT sleeping w/the fishes anytime soon) and totti et al
the paper this morning referred to him as "glamourous"
another man-crush? who knows
john-at-the-helm was certainly anamoured of zizou and who can blame him?
germany/italy!
portugal/france!
I'm all in a tizzy!

actually, I'm still majorly shocked that brazil didn't get thru...

Anonymous said...

Don't want to do a told you so, but I think I may have said they wouldn't get through in a previous post.

I can hardly hate all things Italian here - we have a huge Italian population here - it was our Mediterranean and European migrants who got soccer started here in the 1940's and 50's.