Saturday, July 15, 2006

I Give Up the Fight, Adieu CZT


Went to an insanely ridiculous 1970's low-budget Turkish action cop movie today. It is called 3 Mighty Men and is the pinnacle of absurdity. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Highly recommended.

At one point, one of our 3 Mighty Men heroes is kung fu battling one of the Bad Guys and what does he do? You guessed it. Head-butts him in the abdomen. A guy in the row ahead of me shouted Zizou!

Sigh. How long can this possibly go on?

So I get home from the movie, having bought The Globe & Mail en route, and there's Ian Brown writing quite amusingly about...Zizou and Camus. One quote: "Zidane has made France the centre of the world's attention in the aftermath of the World Cup. He has stolen the undeserving Italian team's time in the global limelight." Except for the undeserving Italian part, I agree with that statement.

But Italy deserved to win. Especially Cannavaro.

A couple of interesting things in today's Globe:
A profile of Mumbai. That city is beyond my imagination. I'd love to see it, but I don't know if I could survive it.
A story about how the Italian mafia had a friend in Berlusconi. hmm.
A feature on buckle bunnies, who are women who haunt the Calgary Stampede trying to land a "real" cowboy. heh. Apparently "real" cowboys are getting rarer and rarer. I guess that's why we've replaced them with firemen in our fantasies, eh?

I have a sudden urge to watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

'tis true: italy? world cup?
no, it's become the tragic story of the fallen zidane