Monday, July 03, 2006

France or Portugal?

I dunno who to pick. This is really tough. Because France have already won the World Cup, I'm tempted to root a little harder for Portugal. Reading various web sites and blogs, I also see how thoroughly hated the Portuguese are by just about everybody. This appeals to my contrarian side.

An Italy - Portugal final would be a spectacle of diving and crying. Operatic indeed.

Zidane has already done enough for his country. Everyone worships him and he will retire much beloved. And he looks like he's had a great time so far. Good enough.

And Figo. Of course. I would like to see him go out a winner. Although give that Portugal hasn't made the semi-finals in 40 years, he already is a winner. But I'd like to see him in the finals.

But yesterday, while driving, I found myself humming La Marseillaise. Subconsciously perhaps I am in the French camp? This is a can't lose/can't win situation.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

there's still italy-germany to get thru...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Well you know whose side I am on in that one! I've been waiting for the Italians to disappoint me, and they haven't yet. Again I'm not optimistic that they can beat Germany, but ya never know.

Anonymous said...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/soccer-world-cup-2006/portugal-france-look-to-icons/2006/07/03/1151778871803.html
I liked this article.

I'm punting on a Germany-France final - there is no science in this, its just a guess.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm expecting France to win tomorrow. But you really never can tell.

Susie, if it is a France-Italy final I know you will be cheering your suddenly French heart out for Les Bleus. :)

Anonymous said...

You betcha!!!!!! (even if its a Portugal-Italy final)