Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The War


CNN reported tonight that it is estimated that Hezbollah has a total of 3000 fighters in its militia. Huh? Is that all? If you had asked me how many of them I thought there were I would've guessed 10 times that number.

This makes Israel's bombing even harder to understand. How can dropping 500-lb bombs and all those rockets accurately target 3000 guys over a pretty wide area. It seems so random. No wonder there are so many innocent bystanders getting hammered. This makes no sense to me. Wouldn't a ground assault be better? One that swarms in and engages these 3000 guys face to face and then captures as many as possible, without hitting civilians in their homes? If you want to destroy Hezbollah, hey, I have no gripe there. Go ahead engage, kill and/or capture actual Hezbollah guys, but not anybody else.

The Israelis want Kofi Annan to apologize for his statement. Give him a break. The man is pissed off. I can't believe they are asking for an apology. That's chutzpah, baby. They are totally on the offense about this. Yes, they are apologizing and regretting their mistake, but man, who do they think is going to back them on this? Short answer: nobody. I won't be surprised if even Bush avoids touching this one.

It's hard to keep bragging about pinpoint precision when you hit a clearly marked UN outpost that you've been asked to stay clear of. Maybe the Israelis can blame their stinky American-made weapons?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

And just how much 'deep regret' is there about this incident? Not much I'd say. I'm guessing in a few months they'll announce the results of their 'investigation' in which no one will be held responsible, but they will still regret what happened.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

A-ha. The cranky one awakes...

Anonymous said...

Two things. First, the UN office has been there for years. But it was inadvertent? Please.

Oh and how this for crazy? Lou Dobbs is spouting off against Israel and it's current campaign. I'm all over the place now, I mean, Lou Dobbs?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

LLJ !

How's the heat in SD?

Anonymous said...

Miserable! Two weeks of almost 100 degree ( I can't do the Celcius conversion soory) now it's down to a mere 80-ish but with tropical humidity. It's rained for two days and nothing dries, not my hair, not the dog, nothin'! I live in San Diego, it's supposed to be perfect. Bah!

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»