Monday, July 10, 2006

Final World Cup Post


Start Ribery does not = win game. Every streak has to end.

Zidane won the Golden Ball award. Let me say this as a treu bleu Zizou fan, Cannavaro got had. Fabio should've won that award. He played every minute of every game and provided leadership and solid play throughout. He deserved to win, maybe his low profile worked against him, but he was the player of the tournament. In my unbiased opinion.

As for the Zidane thing. I still don't get it. If (or when) he chooses to explain his behaviour, anything short of a genuine bona fide French existential moment of crisis of Sartrian proportions will not satisfy me. That is, on the intellectual side; on the emotional side, I've already forgiven him.

So soccer is over. Apres la Mondiale, le deluge?

Happily I have Asian movies to fill the void for the next two weeks. It's that time again for me. Summer = Asian movie overload. Saturday I saw a lite Korean comedy and last night was a neat and colorful funky Thai number. (Although I confess I couldn't get my mind off Zidane.) Today I've got on my agenda a Chinese period piece comedy and a Korean murder mystery.

And I have the week off from work.
And the weather is beautiful.
La vie est belle.

4 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I also was surprised cannavaro got fewer votes. I think zizou was the sentimental fav. At least he takes something away from this world cup.

cityofmushrooms said...

and you know the qualifiers for euro 2008 start in six short weeks...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

yeah, I couldn't believe that. So soon.

And I believe the Premiership starts Aug 19?

i'd be thrilled if Ribery signed for an English team, but it ain't gonna happen. oh well.

cityofmushrooms said...

you never know
anyway ronaldo's out