Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Vive la France again

Start Ribery = Oh, you know the rest. Even when he doesn't do that much.

Another reason to like Thierry Henry: He belts out his national anthem with gusto.
I have a problem with players who don't sing the anthem. Especially among the French. Yes, I am looking at you Zizou and Ribery. You guys have La Marseillaise. Jeez, that's not some boring unsingable dirge. It's a great tune. Chantez, les boys.

Although the announcers seemed to think that Henry was clearly fouled, it didn't look that serious to me. Is Thierry a bit of an actor?

Zizou didn't even look at the goal before kicking for the penalty. That was a tad intimdating, I'd imagine. ZZ wasn't dominant today, but he did all he had to do.

I've never before seen a goal keeper come forward on offense in the closing moments. Kinda like pulling the goalie in hockey! Neat.

John Helmism of the match: "Le Diver."
John Helmism No. 2 of the match: "Barthez is having one of his eccentric moments."

Why does Barthez play like he does? Is he trying to induce heart attacks? Does he think this is amusing? I go grey(er) watching that man.

I really expected Maniche to score at some point. He has great aim. And I don't care how much they boo Cristiano Ronaldo. I think he's a good, exciting player.

Figo's shaved off his manly chest hair! Boo, hiss. Oh well, it'll grow back (she said hopefully).

An Italy v France final? Who'd've thunk it possible? I have no preference. There are guys on each team who I'll be happy to see win the Cup.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, go France is all I can say. Didn't see any of the game - why get up at 5.00am when your're own team isn't there?

Oh, and re the commentary - for the Socceroos games we had our own commentators, for all other games its Martin Tyler, who is highly thought of over here.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Oh, Ms Mushrooms will be so envious. She loves Martin Tyler. I can't comment because I don't know him.

So, you have discovered your inner Frenchwoman, eh? Not really. You are simply ABI, Anyone But Italy?

cityofmushrooms said...

lucky susieq: martin tyler is the ultimate in dry brit irony love him, miss him but am now a fan of john-at-the-helm

on the other hand, what annoyed me was whenever he mentioned figo, john helm felt complelled to intone: "luis figo, trying to roll back the years" oh shut up

farewell luis
congrtalations zizou

but I'm azzurri all the way on sunday (like that's a surprise...)
what is this ABI business anyway??

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

You have a short memory, Ms Shrooms. Have you already forgotten Australia's loss to the Azzurris? I imagine Australians won't forget it for at least 4 years.

cityofmushrooms said...

OTHERS may support ABI
but not I...ever

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have discovered my inner Frenchwoman, just for a few hours early next Monday morning, when I am fast asleep!!!! Most definately ABI