Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Victorious Azzurris


Definition of futility: Trying to get from my office to my house, on the day of an Italia match, without knowing the result. By the time my bus got passed by the 7th car full of flag-waving, horn-honking Italian nut jobs, I began to strongly suspect that Italy might have won the big game. No fool I.

So I knew they'd won, but I didn't know how they did it. Wow. Now that's dramatic.

You don't have to believe me, but I tell you when they FINALLY put del Piero in at the bitter end of the match, I KNEW he would be instrumental in scoring the winning goal. I just knew it. That's what wiley veterans are for. But central to two goals? Well, that was a pleasant surprise.

I kept thinking Andrea "Behold my bouncy Prell hair" Pirlo would do something, and he did too.

Gary Bloom has a man-sized man-crush on Fabio Cannavaro. So do I.

Why bring on a "colour commentator" today? And such a useless one at that. Unnecessary.

I'm growing fond of Mauro Camoranesi's shogun ponytail. How does it not get loose and fall out over 90 minutes? That's some knot!

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I agree on the lame-o "colour commentator" (sounds like he was still going for england)
and on the gravity defying pony-tail
and on last minute del piero being well worth the wait
not to mention the greatness of gattuso, cannavaro and camoranesi
et al
I remain happily shocked by this win
esp that italia (and fans) were spared the terror of the dreaded penalty kicks

now what to hope for in the france/portugal game?

all I can say is world cup 2006 is a man-fest among man-fests
and multi man-crushes amid man-crushes

Anonymous said...

Big decision - normally leave for work at 7.30am, 2 minutes to go and nil all in the game - will I go in late and stay and watch the penalty shoot out or be conscientious and go to work? Italy solved that problem with the last goal going into the net right on 7.30am - go to work appalled.

Don't care who wins out the other game as long as they beat Italy.