Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Okay, so I lied, go ahead head-butt me

I know I said no more World Cup-related blogging, but now that Italian lip readers have entered into this theatre of the absurd, I feel justified in continuing to follow the Zidane story.

Aside: didn’t the French team look purty when they met with Blaque Jacques Chirac yesterday? Even Ribery looked presentable. Zidane’s little wave to the crowd was positively sheepish. It took a whole 24 hours for the French peuple to forgive their hero. Good enough. Glad that is settled.

Now what did Materazzi say? A variety of things, depending on which Italian lip reader you want to believe. I just really, really don’t want this to be about religion. Not now, not in Europe. Please no. If he said that Zidane’s family were traitors to Algeria, that ain’t too good either.

Now what is Zidane’s dumb brother doing commenting from Algeria, when he says he hasn’t actually spoken to him? Stop speculating, dumb brother of Zidane.

I guess Zizou better make a public statement sooner rather than later, or else the rumours will cause more damage than the incident itself.

Also, more and more people seem to be confessing that, like me, they were really wowed by that head butt. Is there something wrong with being equal parts horrified and impressed? It's kinda like a mini 9/11. (But NOT in a terrorist way!!)

In Italian news, Cannavaro looks positively radiant in every photo where he’s holding up the Cup. Sweet thing.

3 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I loved blaque jacques' elegant speech
I though zizou would cry, but no, a mere hand wave to his adoring fans

forget the soothsayers in algeria and the lip readers in italy: it's done


let it lie, folks

just put up statues for zidane and be done w/it

and now someone please broadcast the all-zidane-all-the-time 90 minute soccer doc

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether its better if he just maintains a dignified silence while everyone else beats themselves up over this.

Our local paper had a free poster of the winning team yesterday - letter to the same paper today says
'Thank you for the Italy World Cup poster. I stuck it up on the wall. Oddly though, it fell to the ground. Stuck it up again, fell to the ground"
And several other letters along the same line.....

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I'm certain there are endless uses for an Italian team poster in Australia. Few of them mentionable here. This is a family site!