Monday, January 21, 2008

Weekend Round-Up

I spent the weekend at home fuming over my non-surgical woes. I feel like somebody waiting to deliver a baby and the darn kid just won't show. So I did a ton of cleaning and decluttering. My recycling green box was overflowing this morning. At least some good has come of this stupid situation.

So what did I learn from the teevee this weekend?

1) John McCain's mother is still alive. And she seems fit and healthy. Holy mackerel. He's already the Republicans Methuselah, so what does that make her? Ancient Immortal Mother of Methuselah?

2) I watched too much South Carolina primary on Saturday. Saturday night I dreamt there was a caucus being held on my front lawn. A bunch of old people I'd never seen before were milling around. Then Ron Paul came up and insisted on shaking my hand. I was so excited, I went around telling everybody that Ron Paul shook my hand! But nobody cared.

3) Are we ready for a recession? The markets are tanking everywhere, while the USA has a day off. I guess they'll catch up (or catch down) tomorrow. When everyone sells, sells, sells, aren't "wily investors" supposed to step in and start buying up the bargains? Where have those darn "wily investors" got to? Don't people want bargains anymore? This ain't K-Mart, I guess.

4) John McLaughlin said it's time to move close to the ledge. That's not comforting.
5) I saw a bit of Goldfinger but I missed too much to catch up. It looked silly, though, and Sean Connery was still very handsome. I saw a bit where he drove some woman (i.e some woman) off the road using the Ben-Hur-chariot spikes on his tyres. That wily Bond.

8 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

forget tv
rent "blade runner"

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

But, but, it's never appealed to me.

cityofmushrooms said...

WWHHAATT!!???

Anonymous said...

But, with the exception of JAW fan (who I once discussed this with), Bladerunner is the movie that appeals to the largest cross-section of your readership (i.e. the one they can all agree on). Cityofmushrooms - I had a 3-way e-mail exchange with the guy who broke into your apt. with me to watch Thunderball and our Canlit friend, both of whom were watching the set you described. I gotta get me a copy.

Say - Suzanne Pleshette dies the same day as Allan Melvin and nary a word to be seen on this blog - where is the 70s love, I ask you - where?

Anonymous said...

The great thing about Goldfinger -- one of the great things about Goldfinger -- is how short it is. The shortest of them all. Because a film doesn't have to be There Will Be Blood-Clots to be good.

For heaven's sake, don't watch Blade Runner before surgery! There's a line in it about "bleeding out" that... well.. never mind.

You're not a replicant. It doesn't apply to you. But watch something else.

Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Blade Runner...(yawn!) It's no Clockwork Orange (of course, I don't think it was meant to be, either...but that's beside the point)

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

JAW fan: you simply CAN'T be yawning during Blade Runner!

Nanuk: it's a good movie to zone out to during recovery...honest

cityofmushrooms said...

ps to mr anon: you know you can get sent to the off-world colonies for breaking into the house of a (future) gov't man and his (future)teacher-wife, don't you?