Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2008...and we're off!

Happy New Year.

Another year of blogging is on the agenda. However, as being a blogger is a big social responsibility, I believe it is my duty to attempt to elevate the level of discourse in the blogosphere. So allow me to commence 2008 accordingly.

Our first topic of the year:

Tom Hanks’ nipples.

I saw Charlie Wilson’s War yesterday. Oh, that is so last year. (This is the only day of the year where I can make that lame joke. Apologies. Let me begin again.)

About Tom Hanks’ nipples.

There is a post-coital bath-tub scene where two distracting things occur. One is that Julia Roberts applies thick mascara and then proceeds to separate her clumped eyelashes using a safety pin. It’s scary. Meanwhile Tom Hanks is in the bath-tub where he is shot in close-up at such an angle that his right nipple is distractingly prominent. I didn’t hear a thing he said because I thought, at first, what IS that? And then, I realized, ah, that’s a nipple. It is oddly red and…plump. It took over the screen. I wondered if he had only one like this, but then the camera angle changed and we got a similar shot of Tom’s left nipple which was just as…plump… as the right one. I really felt like they were totally in my face.

Other than this, I really liked the movie because it is about Afghanistan, a topic near to my heart. And Philip Seymour Hoffman (Da Man!) is great fun. Fortunately, we don’t have to see him naked. I already went through that once when watching Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead and I really could not have handled it again. Tom’s over-exposure was more than enough male nudity for one movie for me.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

you notice nobody is touching the tom-hanks-nipple-post w/a ten foot pole?

(or as mushrooms jr. would call 'em: "man boobies")

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I noticed! I guess at long last we know The Final Taboo.

cityofmushrooms said...

tho might you get MORE traffic w/a blog entitled: "man boobies of 2008"?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

IS that the kind of traffic I want?

cityofmushrooms said...

er, maybe not