Sunday, January 06, 2008

There will be lotsa, lotsa blood

I saw Sweeney Todd, and MAN, is it bloody!

I wasn’t expecting that. I knew it had to be a bit a bloody, but the gushing geysers surprised me. I quickly lost track of how many throats were slashed. I kept thinking "but this is a musical!"

I liked the songs. I know nothing about Sondheim, but I enjoyed this introduction.

Johnny Depp is good, but Helena Bonham Carter is better. Neither sings particularly strongly, but that’s okay.

Alan Rickman plays the bad guy, if you can say there is a bad guy. Frankly everybody’s a bad guy or a crazy or both. When Rickman’s young ward refuses to marry him, I thought, how can she turn him down? He’s Alan Rickman! The young fool!

How come nobody has wards anymore?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there as much blood as Javier and his compressed air machine?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

At least as much. Thankfully Johnny Depp has better hair.