Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Canada: Land of the Plain

Another great poll courtesy of The Globe & Mail, Canada’s newspaper of record.

TORONTO — It seems most Canadians realize they do not have movie star looks, according to a new poll that asked people to rate how attractive they think they are. On average, those questioned considered themselves a 6.7 out of 10.


Eight per cent of the more than 1,000 people asked rated themselves a 10, and two-thirds of those were men.

Most people also do not think the years will take much of a toll on them. When asked how they thought they would look 10 years from now, most thought they would only be a little less better looking.

Apparently some people are not familiar with the “ravages of time” concept.

And if I understand this correctly, about 5% of men claim to rate themselves 10s. I find this hard to believe. I think a lot more men think of themselves as 10s than that. I’d put it at 15%.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If asked this question, I would have too many sub-questions:

In other words, if it was just my face, it would rate higher than if it had to include my body and body shape.

Again, I would also have to rate higher if I were only rating myself against other people my age (than if I had to lump in the younger crowd as well)

Then there's the swimsuit competition, where I would score lower...unless, of course, I was once again rating myself against other 43 year-olds...in which case, I would score higher.

This question does not come with a simple answer.

JAW fan

cityofmushrooms said...

except that women always rate themselves lower than men and men are generally happier and more content than women which is why they rule and we spend many precious life moments when we could be watching "rollerball" on late nite tv obsessing about our thighs or that we are only a 6.7 rather than a 6.8 (whatever that means)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

My fave poll said that 1/4 of women rate themselves above-average, whereas 3/4 of men rate themselves above-average. If 3/4 of men are above-average, then doesn't that make them average?

Anonymous said...

Now...what would be interesting is to ask women to rate the men who thought they were 10s. Why do I suspect there would be a lot of 6.2s.

Then again, I am sure most people who rate themself a 10 are probably the type of people who don't listen to what other people have to say about them anyway.

It would also be interesting to ask hardcore Fantasia fans this same questions...because, in my opinion, very few of them would even pass the 5.5 mark. We have to ask ourselves, what would Comic Book Guy rate himself on this meter?...

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Comic Book Guy would rate himself: Best Looking Guy Ever.

I think if women were asked to rate the men who rate themselves 10s, the response would be ha ha ha ha ha. Followed by wiping away the occasional tear, or almost peeing in one's pants.