Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Storm Warning: I'm on the warpath now

I get to the elevator outside the cafeteria, and Mr. Perfect Storm comes swinging around the corner from the other direction. He looks incredibly stressed. We simultaneously hit the UP buttons on our respective sides of the banks of elevators. We are facing each other, then he turns his back! What’s that about? Rude shnook.

I’m desperately trying to remember the oh-so-witty elevator chat I’ve been practicing for the past week. But my mind is blank. (I realize that my idea of suggesting we fly off to Hong Kong together probably wouldn't get a big laugh...)

He is wearing brown wing tips today.

The waiting time is short, and then an elevator’s DOWN light flashes, and the doors open. He looks and gets in the DOWN elevator. What’s wrong with him? I’m convinced I’m being deliberately avoided.

Anyone who knows me knows I’m the most unassuming, non-threatening person imaginable. Why would someone deliberately not want to be alone in an elevator with me? I don’t smell! I wasn’t carrying a dangerous weapon. And I do keep my hands to myself. I'm not a groper! I swear!

I'm lousy at stalking.

Now I’m pissed off. This means war.

(What if his secretary told him I was asking about him? uh oh...)

10 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

as attractive as the wing-tips and kilt (in my mind, he's got the kilt going on) may be, is MPS really, really shy verging on neurotic?

ps I doubt you smell bad

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

He's been twice described to me as "painfully shy". Well, jeez, so am I, but big deal! He could be highly neurotic, I suppose. But I haven't been told this by my reliable sources.

If he ever shows up at work in a kilt, believe me, you'll be the first to know.

cityofmushrooms said...

well, then ya gotta talk to him...somehow

smirk? raise an eyebrow? talk to his back? have a meaningful conversation w/his co-workers? he's not afraid of THEM, is he?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I think the co-workers are "safe". Actually, I've never seen him speak to anyone who isn't a co-worker of his. The man's an iceberg.

cityofmushrooms said...

um, but you mean "iceberg" in a good way, right?

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

I know what you're thinking. What is it that's attractive about this guy, right? I'm beginning to question that myself!

cityofmushrooms said...

alas

Anonymous said...

Maybe he was afraid HE had bad breath? Thus he'd have to avoid the elevator so you wouldn't notice his bad breath/garlic breath?

That's the story I'd tell myself...

Anonymous said...

Maybe he just got in the elevator because it was open. If I were stressed and wanted to get somewhere quiet, I'd take the first one that came open. Just a thought.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Clearly he has no idea of what a scorned woman is capable of. I pity the fool.