Monday, March 12, 2007

Gentlemen, Start your Caddies

Has anybody seen that Cadillac commercial that uses Start! by The Jam?

This is weirder than Magnetic Fields selling dog food.

File this under “Maybe it’s just me” but what’s the connection? Am I being a punk snob for assuming that The Jam were not really that well-known in North America, even at their height of heights? Even if I am, how many potential Cadillac buyers are old Jam fans who are going to be turned on to the idea of owning a Cadillac by that song?

And how much money did Paul Weller get for this?

If I’m the kind of person who is going to notice the song and remember it nostalgically, am I supposed to be Cadillac’s target market? That’s a laugh.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if you want to use an old punk anthem to sell your Brand New Cadillac, well then balls to you big daddy. I ain’t a-never coming back.

1 comment:

cityofmushrooms said...

no, no, no
joe's been spinning enough in his grave at how much the clash is selling-- how many more things will "should I stay or should I go?" be shilling to we middle aged?
blech
my caddie's rusted anyway...