Monday, March 19, 2007

Spies are cool

The International Spy Museum is a must-see for World War 2 and Cold War fans like me. I didn’t even know this place existed until I saw a reference to it in the Air Canada in-flight mag on the plane. Intrigued, I made it my first stop on Friday morning.

I can’t really list everything there I found cool, but here’s a few:

A German enigma machine from WW2, with a detailed description of how its encoding worked.

An umbrella gun, like the one that killed a Bulgarian at a bus stop in London in 1978.
Lipstick tubes that fire a single shot. I think every femme fatale needs at least one of those.
Fake doggie doo with a transmitter in it, for placing on the street near an embassy to pick up radio messages.

I love all this kind of stuff.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

I can think of a couple of nine year-olds who'd be interested in that fake doggie do--
the gun umbrella too...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

The fake doggie doo appealed to my inner 9-year-old. I admit it.

Anonymous said...

It all sounds like something out of Get Smart - but fascinating, all the same.

Anonymous said...

I'm with susieq...suddenly a shoe phone doesn't sound that weird.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

They didn't have a shoe phone but they did have a shoe transmitter.