Sunday, March 25, 2007

Election Eve Jitters

I can't decide who to vote for!

Of course, it doesn't matter who I vote for because Bergman, the Liberal, will get about 80% of the vote. The Liberal always does in my riding.

So my vote is just an academic exercise. Do I go Green? Or do I swing to the centre-right and vote ADQ?

Given that my vote is meaningless I'm tempted to vote for the ADQ candidate only because she's the only woman on the ballot. And I did sign the petition to get her candidature on the ballot. This could be a slippery slope towards the right for me. Next thing you know I'll be voting for Harper...maybe not.

It will be interesting to see where the protest votes go, and how many of them there are. I think a lot of people are angry and disappointed with the Liberals, which means in my riding maybe the Lib will get only 70% of the vote instead of 80%. Not much of a protest, but what can you do?

For my American friends, when you talk about "centre-right" in Quebec, that's about the equivalent of...umm...Ted Kennedy in the US. And "centre" here is Dennis Kucinich down there. Your version of "right" is our fascism. And our "left" is your Castro. We living on a different part of the spectrum up here. We've been on the left for 40 years. I don't see that changing.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just hope my head trauma hasn't hindered my ability to draw an "X" within the boundary of that circle.

Heaven forbid, I accidentally touch the border of it.

I think to avoid confusion, all voters should draw a big happy face on their circle of choice and a sad face on all those they have not selected.

JAW fan

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

That reminds me of another thing I like about our political system. Paper ballots and pencils and x's. No electronic voting, no levers to pull, no hanging chads.

Given your head trauma, JAW, I predict you will scrawl down a handwritten vote for Charo.

cityofmushrooms said...

careful when you vote, JAW fan, that your "x" isn't too shaky or they'll throw out your vote

(hope your head is better and that you have an impressive scar)

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Scars are sexy. I believe that is universally acknowledged.

cityofmushrooms said...

oh yeah