Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Ah, the Slow Leaching of Lead

"The city of Montreal is warning pregnant women and young children* to abstain from drinking tap water in certain areas because of trace levels of lead.

Some older homes in the Plateau Mont-Royal, Notre-Dame-de-Grace and Villeray districts are still serviced by lead pipes that are slowly leaching the element into potable water, according to tests conducted by the city last summer on 1,500 houses. The tests found the majority of homes within the allowable limit.

At the end of February, it began sending letters to about 400,000 households warning residents the pipes may be made of lead, and recommended children and pregnant women drink filtered water for the time being." (CBC)

Guess who was the lucky recipient of one of those 400,000 letters. Yours truly. Quelle thrill.

Now I have an excuse. Every time I act irrationally, I don't have to rely on the old PMS meme, I can now declare that lead in the water has made me looney. And what's good about this excuse is that I can use it every day of the year.

But seriously, this is a pain because I actually don't mind the taste of the tap water in my neighbourhood. I think it's acceptable. Maybe I just love the rich flavour of lead. Time to dig out my never-used water filter.

*And what about kitty cats? How much lead does it take to make a 15-pound cat go bonkers? Probably not much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it explains a lot, doesn't it?
It certainly explains the term 'Proudly annoyed by everything since April 2006'

Anonymous said...

Sadly, you will now be part of the minority referred to as "lead heads"... by those, such as myself, who did not receive a letter.

JAW fan