Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Garcia Marquez is 80

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is the author of both my favourite novel and my least favourite novel. How did he manage that?

Love in the Time of Cholera is my fave book ever. Bar none. I love that book. I can read it again and again and again.

Whereas, One Hundred Years of Solitude was pure torture. I think of it as One Hundred Years of Hitting Myself Repeatedly in the Head with a Blunt Object. I finished it because it was a gift, and then said never again. But about 10 years later, I thought, I'm going to read that book again. I'm older, wiser and I'll appreciate it more. Got about 20 pages in and gave up. I just can't stand that book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since anyone mentioned Alec Baldwin...so allow me this opportunity to say Alec Baldwin (hubba-hubba!!!)*

JAW fan

* where does the expression hubba-hubba originate from?...Laugh-In? Archie comics?...Nanuk, please advise.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

Hey, you're usurping my Garcia Marquez comments thread! Stop this!

For the record, the first place I encountered hubba hubba was MAD Magazine. In an article about "squares". Hubba hubba was the cry of the "square make-out man". For some reason, this is burnt into my brain.