Thursday, February 08, 2007

NASA Nappy News

Astronauts do not wear “diapers”.

NASA calls them “MAGs” or Maximum Absorption Garments.

A NASA “diaper” can last 8 to 10 hours, depending on how much it is used.

The NASA "diapers" helped to influence the consumer diaper market, as well as feminine hygiene products. “It's what we call a spinoff, which is anything that is developed for the space program and then is passed down for commercial use.” (Newsweek)

On behalf of women, old folk and babies everywhere, I thank you NASA.

5 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

ah, mags: something else to look forward to

Anonymous said...

At least they have a cool name. I can't wait to use it in conversation, like when I'm in the nursing home. For example, "Wow, these MAGS are really comfortable!" Or, "These MAGS go great with this track suit!"

BTW, that link you sent didn't work. I know there's a joke there, and I really want to see it.

Anonymous said...

Does a MAG qualify as a 'garment'? I always think of a garment as something like a dress or a jumper, not a nappy (sorry, diaper).

So, instead of calling one particular type of feminine hygiene product a 'surfboard' should I now have to call it an MAG? mmmmmm - will have to find a way to introduce this into a conversation.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

No, Anne, it wasn't a joke. It was another story from the Times. Apparently when young boys are exposed to lavender oil, they are more likely to develop "moobs". Who knew anyone was even studying this phenomenon?

Anonymous said...

Oh Lord! Good thing I'm using after he's in the bed- my husband would never forgive me if he had to pay for moob-removal surgery!