Sunday, February 25, 2007

The Icicles Cometh Downeth

Temperatures are still well below freezing here, but I like this time of winter because the sun is getting strong and warm, and the thaw has begun at last.

Three times so far this morning I’ve heard one of my favourite sounds: the crash, bang, thud of giant icicles detaching themselves from the gutters of the roof and hitting the ground. You don’t want to be standing under one of those babies when it comes down.

My first winter in the house, 8 years ago (already?), I was freaking out because I didn’t know what was happening and I thought the house was falling apart, like bricks were collapsing or a wall was shifting. Now I hear the familiar bang and think "spring will be here soon".

My good friend, The Weather Network, says temps may go above freezing by Tuesday. The last time that occurred was January 13. That’s a long cold snap. O Canada!

2 comments:

cityofmushrooms said...

wasn't there a karen black movie where the evil house renewed itself each year (after first possessing karen et co) by having all the shingles fall off the roof (crashing and banging) only to reveal the new shingles underneath? I forget the name (help me, movie fans) -- "harvest home" (??) it came out around the time of "amity ville horror" (the original) I think.

on the other hand, that crashing and banging could just be the warm temps melting your icicles. in that case, pls disregard above...

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

JAW Fan is the big Karen Black expert around these parts. (I always ask: Why?) We'll have to wait for his input on this.