Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Astronutty

I'm still following the deranged astronaut story. I'm fascinated by it.

Maybe it's just me, but I expect people like this, people who are clearly far-and-away smarter than the rest of us mere shlubs, to have a better grip on their emotions than everybody else. Is that unfair? Maybe. But that's the way I see it. These scientifically-brained people should have more self-control and more stable relationships because they think logically and with great precision and care, no? I guess not.

I get the feeling a lot of astronautical dirty laundry is about to come spilling out. These classic American heroes aren't going to seem so heroic after all. Turns out they are depressed, alcoholic, cheating no-goods like everybody else. Lunch-bag letdown.

I look forward to a public statement from Shuttle Captain Stud Muffin and Army Captain I Need a Restraining Order There's a Crazy Woman Out to Get Me.

I guess sometimes your life goes off the rails and it really isn't your fault. Weird. And slightly scary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a poser. You know they administer a battery of psychological tests before they are ever allowed near the Shuttle. Apparently they were so logical and smarty-pants that it may never had occured to ask questions about what do you do when you have a love triangle and must get to Point B from Point A in a certain number of hours. Plus what kind of person drives around with a large metal mallet? Her list of disguise and murder-bag items reads like a road-runner cartoon.

Nanuk of the North, older but no wiser said...

What kind of person drives around with a large metal mallet?

A potential murderer.

I'm convinced she wanted to kill her. That's my theory and I'm stickin' to it.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Nan- if I ever have a mallet in the car, it's cause I'm taking it to someone's head.
What was the rubber tubing for? Now my husband won't shut up about us "crazy women". I told him that if there was another woman in his life, she could keep him cause I am very anti-being-humiliated-on-national-television, and no man was worth a 900 mile, no-stopping car ride.
I'm fascinated by this story too, but I guess it goes to show that emotional intelligence is not related to logical intelligence.

cityofmushrooms said...

!